One of the most common questions I get asked is “Becca, what’s the best natural moisturizer?!” and let me tell you, I have some wonderful suggestions for ya! Having tested dozens of natural moisturizers myself over the years, I can confidently say I’ve found the best ones out there. And obviously, moisturizing is SUCH a key step in any skincare routine! Especially during the cold, dry winter months ❄️
This post contains affiliate links which means I might earn a small commission if you make a purchase via clicking a link, at no extra cost to you. These links help support the blog, so thank you for trusting my recommendations!
How to Correctly Apply Moisturizer Like a Pro
Alright so this is certainly not rocket science, BUT…I do want to provide some tips so that you can maximize the benefits of your moisturizer. And ultimately, make sure you aren’t wasting your money!
- Apply your moisturizer to damp skin. So either after you have cleansed your skin or applied a toner, and before it completely dries, apply your moisturizer to lock in the hydration! 💦 It’s best to use a pea-sized amount and go in gentle, upward strokes on both your face and neck.
- Follow up with an organic facial oil. Healthy skin needs both water AND oil. Either one alone won’t do. Without enough oils, the skin becomes dry, and without enough moisture, it will become dehydrated 🌵 Typically, moisturizers are water-based lotions, which is why they should be applied first. Water molecules can travel deeper into your skin than oils, due to their low molecular mass, whereas oils remain mostly on the surface of your skin. They act as occlusives, blocking too much water from escaping your skin, which keeps your skin moisturized. So you want to ensure that your skin is retaining all the goodness by applying oils as the last step!
My Top Picks for the Best Natural Face Creams
Okay! Before I share the best of the best options, I want to note that none of these contain sunscreen. If you are looking for moisturizers that are tinted or also contain daily SPF protection, be sure to head over to this post: 8 Best Tinted Mineral Sunscreens & Moisturizers to Protect Your Pretty Face 🌞
I also want to mention that all of the options below are vegan and contain no animal-derived ingredients 🐰
Ideal for: Dry, mature, dull, or hormonal skin
Mmmmm, this moisturizer is so satiny and rich. And bonus, it can also be used as an eye cream. I love multifunctional products! It definitely feels extremely nourishing on my skin. The founder of Blissoma, Julie, is an herbal chemist so the formula is just on another level and I really trust that she knows her stuff. I really like that the smell isn’t overpowering; it’s a light, fresh, earthy, yet delicate scent.
- Rooibos tea and grape seed extract for anti-aging benefits
- Niacinamide to help brighten
- Evening primrose oil which contains gamma-linoleic acid for moisture
- Maitake mushroom to help balance hormonal skin 🍄
- Organic rosehip oil for antioxidants and healing
⭐️ BECCA’S TOP PICK ⭐️
Ideal for: All skin types, especially mature
This one is my personal favorite! It’s the thickest one of all the moisturizers I included in this post and I feel like I don’t need to even apply an oil on top of it (this one is aloe-based and does contain oils). My husband also likes to use this one! It has notes of prickly pear, black cumin, and has sort of a peppery smell so it’s not too feminine or anything. The formula is protective and strengthens your skin’s ability to defend itself against environmental stress and urban pollutants. It blends into my skin effortlessly and leaves it feeling supple yet firm.
- Niacinamide to help brighten
- Organic prickly pear seed oil for antioxidants and anti-aging properties
- Hyaluronic acid for extra hydration and to help firm
- Probiotics to support a healthy microbiome
- Organic neroli flower oil and chamomile extract to soothe skin
This moisturizer truly is something special and I highly recommend giving it a try. You can get a discount on all MŪN products with the coupon code ORGANICALLYBECCA at checkout!
Osea Blemish Balm [$48]
Ideal for: Congested, oily, or blemish-prone skin
This balm feels so refreshing and smells uplifting! I love applying it when I’m breaking out or my skin feels congested. I can definitely tell my skin instantly feels clarified and the balm is working its magic when I use it. If you have really sensitive skin, this might be too powerful for you to use on a daily basis, but it’s always a good option for occasional use too. I’d say that it’s the most lightweight moisturizer of all the options listed in this post. It smells like cypress, juniper, and a hint of tea tree.
- Gigartina, macrocystis, and undaria seaweeds are abundant in vitamins minerals, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids
- Tea tree oil is naturally antibacterial and supports clear skin
- White thyme oil to diminish the appearance of blemishes
Related post: “8 Reasons to Love OSEA Skincare: My Top Picks!”
I also suggest Osea’s Atmosphere Protection Cream as an alternative to this moisturizer.
Ideal for: All skin types especially dry, sensitive, or mature skin
Alright, I couldn’t leave you hanging without providing a budget-friendly natural moisturizer option! 💰 While I recommend one of the other moisturizers in this post first, this one is still a force to be reckoned with. Also, it contains no essential oils, which can be irritating for some people. It’s tinted green and has a slight matcha smell (not too strong)! I do notice a little bit of pilling with this one, which is probably a result of blending it in too much, so I like to gently blend it in until it’s mostly absorbed and then lightly tap the remaining amount into my face. Other than that, it feels nourishing and provides a nice layer of moisture!
Related post: “Budget Buys: 70+ Green Beauty Products Under $20 Bucks!”
- Organic matcha tea powder nourishes skin with protecting antioxidant catechins and helps reduce the appearance of redness 🍵
- Pomegranate seed oil naturally contains punicic acid and helps defend skin against oxidative stress
- Green tea extract to sustain the skin’s natural barrier function
When it comes to a natural moisturizer, what are the main features that you look for? Let me know in the comments or drop any questions you may have. I sure hope you give one of these lotions a try! Your skin will thank you.