One of the most common questions I get asked is “Becca, what’s the best natural moisturizer?!” and let me tell you, I have some wonderful suggestions for ya! Having tested dozens of clean and non-toxic moisturizers myself over the years, I can confidently say I’ve found the best ones out there. And obviously, moisturizing is SUCH a key step in any skincare routine! Especially during the cold, dry winter months ❄️
This post contains affiliate links which means I might earn a small commission if you make a purchase via clicking a link, at no extra cost to you. These links help support the blog, so thank you for trusting my recommendations!
How to Correctly Apply Moisturizer Like a Pro
Alright so this is certainly not rocket science, BUT…I do want to provide some tips so that you can maximize the benefits of your moisturizer. And ultimately, make sure you aren’t wasting your money!
- Apply your moisturizer to damp skin. So either after you have cleansed your skin or applied a toner, and before it completely dries, apply your moisturizer to lock in the hydration! 💦 It’s best to use a pea-sized amount and go in gentle, upward strokes on both your face and neck.
- Follow up with an organic facial oil. Healthy skin needs both water AND oil. Either one alone won’t do. Without enough oils, the skin becomes dry, and without enough moisture, it will become dehydrated 🌵 Typically, moisturizers are water-based lotions, which is why they should be applied first. Water molecules can travel deeper into your skin than oils, due to their low molecular mass, whereas oils remain mostly on the surface of your skin. They act as occlusives, blocking too much water from escaping your skin, which keeps your skin moisturized. So you want to ensure that your skin is retaining all the goodness by applying oils as the last step!
Related post: “How to Effectively Layer Skincare & Maximize the Benefits of Your Products”
Related post: “Six Tips to Combat Dry Skin This Winter (with All Natural Products)“
My Top Picks for the Best Natural Face Creams
Okay! Before I share the best of the best options, I want to note that none of these contain sunscreen. If you are looking for moisturizers that are tinted or also contain daily SPF protection, be sure to head over to this post: 7 Best Tinted Mineral Sunscreens & Moisturizers to Protect Your Pretty Face 🌞
I also want to mention that all of the options below are vegan and contain no animal-derived ingredients 🐰 *except for the tallow balm!*
Alpyn Triple Vitamin C Brightening Bounce Cream [$49]
Ideal for: Dullness, pigmentation, or skin that lacks hydration
This one is so fun! It’s called a “bounce cream” because it literally has a jelly trampoline-like texture when you poke it! The texture is actually more of a whipped gel-cream; it’s very light and unique. It has a slightly luminous finish that will leave you with a subtle glow, too! Umm and helloooo, it’s pink 😍
I would suggest this one if your skin needs a hydration boost or looks lackluster. Bounce is awesome for brightening and it definitely makes my skin look radiant, feel plump, and helps with elasticity. I would probably NOT suggest it if you have sensitive skin (Vitamin C can be irritating for some people!) or extreme dryness because it’s better for hydration vs. intense moisture. I enjoy this one a lot though!
- Vitamin C lightens dark spots, protects against environmental stressors and free radicals, and boosts collagen production. Bounce has three forms of Vitamin C in it!
- Organic aloe is a powerful humectant that binds moisture and provides lasting hydration
- Wild chokeberry is packed with polyphenols and antioxidants to enhance elasticity
- Bearberry extract also has been shown to lighten skin and even the overall tone
Related post: “Alpyn Beauty Natural Skincare Review [Plant-Based & Sustainable]”
Osea Blemish Balm [$48]
Ideal for: Congested, oily, or blemish-prone skin
This balm feels so refreshing and smells uplifting! I love applying it when I’m breaking out or my skin feels congested. I can definitely tell my skin instantly feels clarified and the balm is working its magic when I use it. If you have really sensitive skin, this might be too powerful for you to use on a daily basis, but it’s always a good option for occasional use too. I’d say that it’s the most lightweight moisturizer of all the options listed in this post. It smells like cypress, juniper, and a hint of tea tree.
- Gigartina, macrocystis, and undaria seaweeds are abundant in vitamins minerals, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids
- Tea tree oil is naturally antibacterial and supports clear skin
- White thyme oil to diminish the appearance of blemishes
You can use code BECCA10 for a discount on Osea products!
Related post: “7 Reasons to Love OSEA Skincare: My Top Picks!”
Osea Seabiotic Water Cream [$54]
Ideal for: All skin types, especially sensitive (fragrance and essential oil free!)
Soooooo good! If you are sensitive to smells or essential oils, then this is right up your alley (it’s fragrance and essential oil free). Great for the guys, too! Seabiotic has more moisture and is much thicker compared to the Blemish Balm. It has been clinically proven to provide 72+ hours of deep hydration! It glides on like silk, doesn’t pill, and feels super nourishing (but not too heavy).
- Prebiotic and probiotic seaweed to promote skin radiance and replenish skin’s moisture barrier
- Squalane gives weightless yet long-lasting moisture
- Bisabolol (derived from chamomile) helps soothe dry skin
You can use code BECCA10 for a discount on Osea products!
Shop Seabiotic Water Cream Here
Related post: “Unscented vs. Fragrance Free vs. Essential Oil Free Skincare: What’s the Difference?”
Sun & Moo Grass-Fed Tallow Balms [$26-50]
Ideal for: All skin types, especially sensitive/irritated/very dry
Tallow is rendered beef fat 🐮 so this one is obviously not vegan! But wow, I’ve been pleasantly surprised since introducing tallow into my routine. It’s incredibly moisturizing and I don’t feel the need to use any additional oils with it. This is one I gravitate towards when my skin feels aggravated and I just want to use something simple.
Tallow has more of a balm texture instead of a lotion or cream, so it takes longer to absorb and more effort to blend, but it provides GREAT nourishment! You might think it would be greasy but it’s actually compatible with our skin’s oils and only has a comedogenic rating of 2 (non-comedogenic and has a moderately low likelihood of clogging pores).
Sun & Moo has a couple of different blends. You can get one that is just pure tallow but I like Simple Thing (tallow and jojoba) and Age Reverse (tallow, jojoba, plantain, carrot seed oil, and raw honey).
- Grass-fed beef tallow is loaded with nutrients such as Vitamins A, B12, D, E, K, and fatty acids that promote skin health. It’s a natural and bioavailable source of Vitamin A which can help with skin regeneration and keep skin youthful! Plus, Vitamin E has been shown to prevent collagen breakdown. It even contains some antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties and can be helpful for healing skin conditions such as rosacea.
- Organic jojoba oil is technically a wax and it closely mimics skin’s sebum
Read more here: “Tallow as a Natural Face Moisturizer? I Gave it a Try & Here’s How it Went!”
You can use code ORGANICALLYBECCA for a discount!
Shop Sun & Moo Tallow Balms Here
MUN Protect + Revive Moisturizer [$65]
Ideal for: All skin types, especially mature
This one is great! It’s thicker and does contain some oils. My husband also likes to use this one! It has notes of prickly pear, black cumin, and has sort of a peppery smell so it’s not too feminine or anything. The formula is protective and strengthens your skin’s ability to defend itself against environmental stress and urban pollutants. It blends into my skin effortlessly and leaves it feeling supple yet firm. It’s quite rich!
- Niacinamide to brighten
- Organic prickly pear seed oil for antioxidants and anti-aging properties
- Hyaluronic acid for extra hydration and to help firm
- Probiotics to support a healthy microbiome
- Organic neroli flower oil and chamomile extract to soothe skin
This moisturizer truly is something special and I highly recommend giving it a try. You can get a discount on all MŪN products with the coupon code ORGANICALLYBECCA at checkout!
Shop MŪN Protect + Revive Here
Cocokind Texture Smoothing Cream [$22]
Ideal for: All skin types especially oily, textured, or large pores
Alright, I couldn’t leave you hanging without providing a budget-friendly natural moisturizer option! 💰 While I recommend one of the other moisturizers in this post first, this one is still a force to be reckoned with. It’s a lightweight cream with a satin finish. It smells like cucumber and celery!
I do notice a little bit of pilling with this one, which is probably a result of blending it in too much, so I like to gently blend it in until it’s mostly absorbed and then lightly tap the remaining amount into my face. Other than that, it feels nourishing and provides a nice layer of moisture.
- Celery superseed complex has fatty acids and antioxidants to support skin’s structure and minimize the appearance of pores
- Tsubaki seed oil to smooth lines and wrinkles and defend skin from oxidative stress
- Squalane to lock in moisture and hydrate
You can use code ORGANICALLYBECCA for a discount on your Cocokind order!
Shop Texture Smoothing Cream Here
Related post: “120+ Budget-Friendly Clean Beauty Products Under $25 Bucks!”
When it comes to a natural moisturizer, what are the main features that you look for? Let me know in the comments or drop any questions you may have. I sure hope you give one of these lotions a try! Your skin will thank you.