It’s official…summer is over! That might have left you with some sun-kissed skin like some cute freckles and a tan. But maybe that also entails…hyperpigmentation or sun damage? Dry, parched skin? ☀️ No thanks. Today I’m going to share a natural skincare brand that I’ve been testing out, and how to use the products in a routine to combat sun damage from the summer and further protection for the fall!
About Blissoma Botanical Beauty
But first…I want to share a little bit more about Blissoma! Most of my readers know, but I am VERY particular about the brands I partner with and choose to share on this blog! I worked with Blissoma last year for a post (which I link below!) but just to give you a little more info about how awesome they are:
- Independently owned, woman-owned, and founded by herbal chemist Julie Longyear
- They source from local, organic farms and avoid heavy processing
- Packaged in recyclable glass and formulated with biodegradable ingredients and sustainable preservatives
- Each product is cruelty-free, certified vegan, and made in-house in St. Louis, MO
- Allergen-friendly! 🥜 They don’t use nuts or gluten in their formulas
- Donates to local charitable causes such as Earthdance, a nonprofit organic agricultural apprenticeship program
- Overall, Blissoma is a *very* transparent and honest company that I wholeheartedly recommend!
Blissoma recently rebranded and has beautiful new packaging too…swoon! 😍 They categorize their products by holistic skincare ecosystems which is SO cool. And very helpful if you are looking for products specific to your skin type and needs. They also list steps on each package so you know exactly the correct order to apply! The ecosystems are: Sustain, Rescue, Soothe, Renew, and Defend.
Alright, now let’s talk about the products I’ve been testing out. P.S. if you keep reading, there’s a coupon code for you!
First step…cleansing! This one is pretty unique for a cleanser. It has properties of an oil cleanser but you don’t need to remove it with a cloth which is so nice. It squirts out as a thick gel and I’ve found it best to apply 2-3 pumps to slightly damp (not wet) skin. If I apply it to dry skin, it can be pretty hard to move around and just dries out so damp skin is best! Then I massage it for a minute or so and splash with warm water. The water activates it and turns it into a slightly milky consistency with a very mild lather.
Plus I reallllly enjoy the fresh, citrus scent! 🍊🍋 But also, my skin just feels really happy after using it. This cleanser leaves a “slick” feeling but also makes my face feel firm and toned, not dry or tight.
- Organic brown rice flour which is slightly grainy and helps remove dirt
- Willowbark which is a natural source of salicin to keep bacteria at bay and dissolve dead skin cells
- Organic apricot kernel, hemp, and sunflower oils to provide essential fatty acids and nourishment
Note: This cleanser doesn’t have soaps/detergents and was not designed to remove makeup. It works well for removing light makeup on my face but not really for mascara. I suggest oil cleansing or removing heavy eye makeup before using this one!
I am SO glad I started using this powder because it makes such a difference. I love a good exfoliation because my serums and makeup just apply so much better afterward. This one is super fine which is nice because I’ve definitely used exfoliating powders in the past that were way too coarse and abrasive. This is way more delicate yet still effective.
This is both a chemical and physical exfoliant, meaning it works to physically remove gunk from your skin, but also has powerful enzymes that break down dead skin cells. I have been using it once a week, but depending on your skin it can be used up to 3x a week!
I love that it’s just a standalone powder; it’s versatile and you can use it in multiple different ways. I’ve mainly been pairing it with the Fresh cleanser from above, and occasionally mixing with manuka honey as a mask 🍯 You can use it alone with just water, too. I just take about ½ tsp in my palm and squirt some of the cleanser and mix them together to make a paste. Then gently massage it onto damp skin and follow up with a rinse.
I don’t really notice a scent with this powder, if anything maybe it slightly smells like oats. After using it, my skin looks brighter and feels so incredibly smooth and less congested. Love!
- Organic oat flour for a gentle scrub
- Organic Astragalus root and turmeric help with inflammation
- Vitamin C in the form of powdered organic coconut water and papain (papaya enzyme), which is the powerhouse ingredient that helps brighten skin
- Green coffee extract ☕️ for antioxidants
Ah yes, toner time. I feel like toners don’t always seem necessary but then I use one and am like, YEP, I need to keep this! They just add such a nice boost of hydration but also nutrients. Especially now that it’s getting colder out and the air is drier, give me alllllll the hydration, please. I like to apply a couple of spritzes of toner after cleansing and before applying a serum or moisturizer. Or sometimes I like to use a toner instead of water if I’m using a powdered mask.
If you actually look into the bottle of this one, it’s brown! Which is so unique and you know it’s herbal and earthy; most toners I’ve used are just clear! To me, it smells like melon yet earthy at the same time. Very interesting!
- Organic calendula to hydrate and soothe blemishes
- Honeysuckle extract helps balance bacteria
- Organic cantaloupe which has tons of vitamins like A, B3, and B6 (Blissoma peels, slices, soaks, and strains the cantaloupe themselves! 🍈)
- Fermented wasabi extract to balance skin’s microbiome
Alright, this might be my favorite product in the lineup! Once the toner has slightly dried into my skin, I apply a pump of this serum. Once again, this is really unique especially compared to other serums I have tried. It’s a milky consistency that absorbs into skin really quickly. It’s an orangey-brown hue and to me, it smells like apples 🍎 (even though there isn’t apple in the formula). Light, fresh, and sweet.
This serum is formulated to help brighten skin naturally and it does just that. I feel like this one has made the biggest difference of all the products. Hard to describe, but I can just feel it working when I apply it. Each morning after using this, my skin just looks so great and bright. You can just tell that it’s super concentrated and powerful.
- Pomegranate extract for highly bioavailable antioxidants and also heals hyperpigmentation
- Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate which is a stabilized form of Vitamin C (this is the potent brightening ingredient!)
- Coenzyme Q10 for firmness and wrinkle-fighting
- Organic rosewater and baobab
- Licorice root for even skin tone
After applying the serum, I still need a little more moisture and want to lock everything in. This is where Lift comes in! It’s thicker and a lighter color than the Aura serum. As I’m approaching my later twenties, I’m doing what I can to combat the signs of aging so I really appreciate all the rich properties of this moisturizer.
I just use a small pump of this all over my face…and bonus! This can also be used as an under-eye cream. I just gently tap some around my eyes with my ring finger. I love multifunctional products! What’s nice is this makes my skin feel really supple and moisturized, but doesn’t look greasy or feel heavy. Sometimes when I just use a cream, I still feel like I need more. Not with this! It’s very rich, potent, and powerful. It smells similar to Aura but lighter and more delicate.
- Rooibos tea and grape seed extract for anti-aging benefits
- Niacinamide to help brighten
- Evening primrose oil which contains gamma-linoleic acid for moisture
- Maitake mushroom to help balance hormonal skin 🍄
- Organic rosehip oil for antioxidants and healing
Last step…sunscreen! 🕶🧴 Summer may be over, but this is an important step nonetheless. Since I did a whole blog post on Photonic last year, I’m not going to repeat myself here. But, this is a good one. My biggest tip would be to wait a few minutes after applying Photonic before continuing to apply makeup. Just to let everything sink in!
No joke, the first time I did the complete routine using these products I thought to myself, “Wow, it feels like I just had a professional facial!” …these products are legit! Overall, my skin has seemed more firm, even-toned, and brighter while using these. I have some light hyperpigmentation spots near my eyes that seem to be fading. I highly recommend and I’m sure Blissoma would be more than willing to help you out with your specific skincare concerns. I know I’m definitely going to keep using these because my skin has been loving them!
Now through November 15th, you can use the code BECCADUODEAL for $10 off your purchase of at least two full-size products! (order total must be $30+) …Enjoy!