You’ve probably noticed a recent trend all over social media: matcha. But what the heck is it and why are people SO obsessed with it? (I’m one of them) 🍵
What is matcha?
Matcha is green tea. However, it’s grown and harvested differently than green tea. Matcha is made by grinding the entire leaf into a powder form, and green tea is just steeping the leaves in water.
Because of this, matcha contains many more nutrients and benefits!
It’s also available in different “grades” meaning the quality varies.
- Culinary/cooking grade: recommended for cooking because it’s more astringent than ceremonial grade
- Premium grade: this is the “regular” grade
- Ceremonial grade: highest quality grade available. It’s what is traditionally used in Japan, made with only the best leaves from the harvest. Usually has a much better color, taste, smell, and texture.
What are the health benefits?
Matcha is quite amazing, actually! Here are just a few of the benefits:
- Full of antioxidants and supports the immune system
- Natural detox for your body and skin
- Loaded with chlorophyll
- Contains dietary fiber
- Has a lot of amino acids like L-theanine, which helps sustain the energy boost from the caffeine without the crash (for half a teaspoon of matcha there is about 25-30 mg of caffeine)
- Boosts metabolism
- Tastes delicious!
Just look at how many antioxidants are in matcha compared to other superfoods!
(data from The Matcha Reserve)
Learn more about the benefits of matcha.
The Matcha Reserve
So when The Matcha Reserve reached out to me asking if I’d like to try some of their products for free, I was like heck yeah!
Although these products were sent to me for free, this blog post reflects my honest opinions.
Not all matcha is created equal. Here’s why I like this company:
- They have organic, ceremonial-grade matcha
- Grown in Japan and tested by a third-party to make sure it’s not radiated
- Packaged in small batches to ensure freshness
- The color! The smell! You can just tell it’s high quality because it’s so green and vibrant
- Tastes great
Some of their products I tried:
- Ultra Premium Ceremonial Grade Organic Matcha: this is one of their best-sellers and the highest quality matcha they carry. The color is sooooo bright green, and the taste definitely measures up. Not bitter at all.
- Organic Vanilla Matcha: it’s organic matcha with vanilla extract added for flavor! I don’t notice a HUGE difference in flavor from the ceremonial grade matcha above, but there’s a hint of vanilla and warmth.
- They also sent a matcha body soap, but unfortunately have discontinued it from their site! But it smells and works amazing 😊
And if you’re looking for a yummy, healthy matcha latté recipe, check out my friend Courtney’s recipe for Bombproof Matcha. I usually make this recipe or a slight variation of it.
The Matcha Reserve also carries a ton of other flavored matcha options, as well as equipment for making matcha. Check it out!
They even set up a discount code for you to use for 15% off their products. Just use code ORGANICALLYBECCA at checkout.