Calling all dog moms (and dads!) 🐶 If you’re anything like me, you want the absolute best for your fur baby. Because let’s face it, they may not look like us, but they are definitely just another family member. Today I’m going to share some of my favorite (or should I say my dog Dexter’s favorite) natural food and products that are #OrganicallyBeccaApproved!
This post contains affiliate links.
High-Quality Dog Food
The sad truth about most kibbles is that they contain lots of cheap fillers and by-products. Companies will use leftover meat that usually isn’t good enough for human consumption, or meats that are brought over from other countries. Sometimes they contain a lot of GMO corn, soy, and grains which definitely are not part of a dog’s natural diet.
Kibble is also cooked and extruded at extremely high temperatures, which not only kills off all the vital nutrients, but it actually makes the food carcinogenic.
According to Fetch a Cure, an estimated 6 million dogs will be diagnosed with cancer this year.
That’s not something pet owners love to hear or think about, but it just puts into perspective how important it is to use the best, natural products for your pup! A few years ago my dog Dexter had two lumps removed, one on his leg and one on his elbow. Thankfully they were not cancerous, but it still scared me into making a change with his food and looking for better options. Here’s what I found:
- Rah Raw Premium Frozen Food: This company sources meat locally from the midwest and everything is raw and comes frozen. They offer a lot of blends and different options for meats and organs. Dexter LOVES fresh, raw food way more than kibble (it’s their natural diet, after all). Rah Raw is based out of Minnesota so shipping to me in Wisconsin is not that bad; it might be too expensive if you’re elsewhere in the US though! Dexter gets raw food at night and then kibble in the morning to keep it more affordable.
- Stella & Chewy’s: A local (to me) company out of Oak Creek, Wisconsin. They use responsibly-sourced ingredients (never from China) and their food is 90-95% meat, organs, and bone with no added hormones or antibiotics. They offer a variety of options whether it be frozen raw, patties, freeze-dried raw, raw-coated kibble, and some others. They also incorporate 100% organic fruits and veggies and their meats are grass-fed, wild-caught, or cage-free. Dexter is usually given the Raw Coated Kibble, which is kibble that is gently baked at low temperatures (not extruded) and then coated with freeze-dried raw food. It’s a little more affordable of the options but still superior quality!
- Raw Paws: This is another amazing company that I occasionally incorporate into Dexter’s diet. They have an amazing selection of raw food along with freeze-dried and natural treats and chews. Dexter likes the Freeze-Dried Grass-Fed Beef food. It’s pasture-fed, grain-free, no hormones or antibiotics, gluten-free, and made in the USA. It’s pricey so it’s not something I buy too frequently. Use code ORGANICALLYBECCA for a discount!
TIP: When Dexter gets kibble, I like to soak it in about 1 cup of water for a few minutes before feeding it to him. Filtered water, of course! Dry food can cause bloat and upset tummy 💦 Plus, in the wild, a dog would eat raw food which is wet and naturally full of water. Soaking the food also brings out the smell and makes it more appealing to them.
I also make dog food at home occasionally just to give him something a little fresher, I like this recipe from Damn Delicious. So easy!
Related podcast episode: Holistic Dog Care & Raw Diet Tips with Roberta Donaldson
Natural Treats + Supplements
- Dr. Harvey’s Herbal Supplements: I sprinkle these on Dexter’s food occasionally for a little extra nutrition. He is an anxious dog so the “Relax” is usually what I use. It’s a blend of spirulina, lecithin, nutritional yeast, garlic, flaxseed meal, alfalfa leaf, kelp, rose hips, red clover blossoms, kava kava root, hops flowers, chamomile flowers, catnip leaf, damiana leaf, lobelia herb, passionflower herb, valerian root, rosemary leaf, and skullcap herb.
- Gracie’s Doggie Delights: Freeze-dried dog treats made locally in Wisconsin by Gracie, a young woman with Down Syndrome.
- Nuleaf Naturals Organic Pet CBD Oil: CBD oil has lots of benefits, even for dogs! It can be used to treat seizures, nausea, stress, anxiety, arthritis, back pain, symptoms of cancer, and digestive issues, among other health conditions. I gave this to Dexter and it helped shrink his fatty tumor! Use code ORGANICALLYBECCA for a discount.
- Raw Paws Freeze-Dried Treats + Bully Sticks: I also love giving Dexter treats from Raw Paws. He loves the bully sticks (so gross if you know what a bully stick is…) and also the freeze-dried grass-fed beef treats. Use code ORGANICALLYBECCA for a discount!
- Raw Paws also sells a variety of natural supplements, including probiotics, dental supplements, and organic bone broths.
Kombucha SCOBY Dog Treats
This is going to make me seem SUPER crunchy, but I use extra SCOBYs from making homemade kombucha to make dog treats. Dexter loves them and they are a great source of probiotics. TO MAKE: Just cut a SCOBY into long strips and lightly coat it with bouillon for flavor. Place on a dehydrator for a few hours at 95° F. Store in an airtight container for up to a few months.
Holistic Dental Hygiene
- Pet Pure by Dr. Brite: This dental company also makes pet products! This bundle contains a Cleansing Oral Spray and Tooth & Gum Cleaning Pen. It has natural, organic, human-grade ingredients.
- Greenies Grain-Free Dental Chews: Dexter loves these, but I love that they are grain-free and help freshen breath and clean his teeth as he chews.
- True Blue Biodegradable Teeth + Gum Wipes: If a spray or dental pen won’t work for your pup, you can try these super easy wipes to clean their teeth.
- Another option that cleans plaque off dog’s teeth is raw chicken feet and dried fish skins; Dexter goes crazy for them and they’re a healthy snack!
Hygiene + Healthy Skin
- Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve Pooch Pouch: Includes organic Cedarwood Lavender shampoo bar, Dry Shampoo, and an herbal Paw Salve. The shampoo actually helps keep bugs away too.
- Musher’s Secret Pet Paw Protection Wax: A natural blend of beeswax, carnauba, and candelilla waxes that help protect paws. This is great in winter when the roads are salty and freezing!
- Vet’s Best Ear Wash & Dry: I use this stuff after Dexter goes swimming or gets a bath to make sure his ears are clean. They are made with yucca, aloe vera, chamomile, clove oil, tea tree oil, and echinacea.
- Waxelene Ointment: This is for humans, but can be used on pups too! It’s an organic alternative to Vaseline. It’s similar to the Musher’s Secret and can be used to protect paws in winter or moisturize when dry. Use code ORGANICALLYBECCA for a discount.
Natural Flea + Tick Repellent
- Earth Animal Flea + Tick Collar: Unfortunately, the ingredients in most topical flea and tick repellents for dogs are made with pesticides, DEET, and chemicals. I would much rather be putting something natural and safe on my pup! During the warmer months, Dexter wears this collar. It lasts about 3 months, or you can use the monthly spot-on gel. The smell is pretty strong, but it subsides after about a day (it’s pepperminty and Dexter becomes a walking air freshener!). Made with just cedarwood, peppermint, and almond oil.
- Additionally, when I’m hiking or outdoors in grassy areas, I use Erin’s Faces Deet-Free Mosquito + Tick Repellent on myself, but it’s safe to use on dogs too! Use code ORGANICALLYBECCA for a discount.
Supplies + Accessories
- Earth Rated Unscented Compostable Poop Bags: When Dexter is at home, he just goes potty in the yard which is picked up with a scooper. But when we’re out on walks I use these eco-friendly poo bags 💩
- Good Hound Company: A local Milwaukee company that sells super cute bandanas, bow ties, leashes, etc. using pre-owned and recycled fabrics. With every purchase, Good Hound Company will donate a toy to an animal shelter to accompany a rescued dog and help welcome them to their forever home.
- Savvy Doggy Organic Bed: No nasty chemicals on this bed! Check out this blog post for more info about it.
This is an area I want to improve on! All of Dexter’s toys are pretty old but once it’s time to replace I’ll definitely look into some that are more eco-friendly. We have a Beco Bone from Earth Hero which is natural rubber and scented with vanilla. They carry lots of other natural pet toys and products, too!
Want more? 🐕 Be sure to also check out the Healthy Dog section on my Amazon storefront. It has leashes, harnesses, and some other dog products I love.
Let me know if you have any questions or share what some of your favorite pet products are in the comments!