Hi my name is Becca and I am a recovering perfume addict 😮 No seriously, I used to have an ENTIRE drawer full of perfumes. I don’t even know how many Bath & Body Works body sprays I had, but you name the scent and it was probably in my drawer! I would spritz myself every single day. But then I started learning more about safer products and researching ingredients. And when I learned that “fragrance” is one of the most harmful ingredients out there, it was a huge wake-up call and a big fat ADIÓS to my stash!
This post contains affiliate links.
The Problem with “Fragrance”
Have you ever been around someone who wore way too much perfume, then you got a headache? Or nauseous? 🙋 That’s because perfumes are basically a chemical cocktail. The term “fragrance” is just an unregulated catch-all term and can be a combination of about 3,000 different chemicals which can be detrimental to our health.
I avoid fragrances like the plague because they are linked to:
- Endocrine disruption – these chemicals can mimic hormones and therefore alter your hormone levels
- Nervous system disorders like ADHD
- Allergic reactions
- Cancer, more specifically breast cancer because of the endocrine disruptors
- Birth defects
- Dizziness, brain fog, migraines, and nausea
- Respiratory irritation
There are many downsides to using synthetic scents. Fragrances are especially harmful to pregnant women, infants, and children because of how badly they can impact developing bodies. But I believe that everybody should avoid them! Check out the Stink! documentary, it’s really eye-opening.
Other than fragrance, look out for these terms on ingredient labels:
- Eau de parfum
- Eau de toilette
Other than perfumes, synthetic fragrances are in about 95% of hair care products out there like shampoos, conditioners, styling sprays, and more. The majority of people are breathing these in and putting them on their bodies every single day because of how prominent they are. These chemicals absorb right into your bloodstream. If you see any of the above on an ingredient label, avoid it.
My Fave Non-Toxic Perfumes
The good news is that you can still wear perfume! You just have to read the ingredients and buy ones that are naturally produced. I’ll help you out so you can skip the search 😉
Now that I’ve phased out synthetic perfumes, it’s crazy how sensitive I’ve become to fake smells! I just can’t stand them anymore and they are way too strong for me. Natural is the way to go!
My top recommendation is the Good Medicine Beauty Lab’s botanical perfumes. My personal favorite is the scent Moon Shadow which has attars of rose, sandalwood, cinnamon, and clove bud. It smells SO good!
I can totally stand behind this company and their perfumes because they:
- Are a women-led, family-owned company
- Never test on animals
- Use locally sourced ingredients
- Are handcrafted in small batches
- Offer mini sizes so you can try before you buy a full size
- Use custom blended 100% pure essential oils and attars in artisan alcohol
- Never use synthetics
Other #BeccaApproved Natural Perfumes to Try:
- Palermo Aromatherapy Oils: Light and delicate oils that aren’t too overpowering; I love Vitality which smells of jasmine, sandalwood, and cardamom
- Pour le Monde: A certified B Corp that uses all-natural oils; my favorite scent is Envision
- Sigil Scent: Gender-neutral fine fragrances made with 100% natural plant oils, absolutes, and tinctures
You definitely don’t need to go and throw out perfumes like I did, but it’s so important that you know what these ingredients really mean and how they affect your health. And now going forward you are more informed!
Also check out my blog post: 5 Essential Tips for Finding *Truly* Natural Perfumes
Let me know in the comments if you’ve tried any of these, and if you have, what’s your favorite scent?