Why yes, I do have a slight obsession with serums. I stopped using plain ole’ moisturizer and lotion on my face years ago and have never looked back. To some people, the thought of putting oils on your face sounds like a bad idea. Well if you use the right types, it’s actually super beneficial, and WON’T clog your pores (unlike coconut oil). In fact, switching to oils helped heal my acne. Boom.
Benefits of Using Organic Oils in Skincare:
You see, just using water-based lotions and moisturizers is just not as effective as something that’s oil-based. Anything that’s water-based will basically evaporate off your skin as the day goes on. Oils are occlusive, meaning they both lock in hydration and provide a protective barrier to keep your skin moisturized throughout the day and mimic skin’s natural chemistry. They are AMAZING! 💦
How to Apply Facial Oils: They should always be applied as the last step in your skincare routine (apply products from lightest to heaviest). It’s best to first apply a toner for hydration, then a water-based lotion if you need extra moisture, then oil to seal everything in. Simply use 3-6 drops, rub in the palms of your hands, then gently press into your face and neck in upward and outward motions (do not rub them in too aggressively). Allow them to absorb for a few minutes before applying makeup. All done!
By the way, skincare should be simple and you only need ONE serum. But as a blogger, I’ve tried tons over the years, and these are the ones that have always stuck out the most to me. It also depends on what type of skin you have and what you’re looking to achieve. Here are the best of the best!
This post contains affiliate links.
The Best Natural Facial Serums to Try:
Best brightening Vitamin C serum • All skin types
Everyone needs a Vitamin C serum in their routine. It brightens, hydrates, reduces redness, evens out skin tone, and fades hyperpigmentation. This serum is a milky consistency that absorbs into the skin really quickly. It’s an orangey-brown hue and to me, it smells like apples 🍎 Light, fresh, and sweet. This serum is formulated to help brighten skin naturally and it does just that. Hard to describe, but I can just feel it working when I apply it. Each morning after using this, my skin just looks so great and bright.
- Pomegranate extract for highly bioavailable antioxidants and also heals hyperpigmentation
- Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate which is a stabilized form of Vitamin C (this is the potent brightening ingredient, not all Vitamin Cs are created equal!)
- Coenzyme Q10 for firmness and wrinkle-fighting
- Organic rosewater and baobab
- Licorice root for even skin tone
Best for dry, thirsty skin • All skin types
I like to call this one Botox in a bottle. If you’re not familiar with hyaluronic acid, it’s basically a moisture magnet that attracts up to 1,000 times its weight in water. So think of it as sucking in moisture for your skin! This is not an oil-based serum (it’s a gel that dries quickly), so you would still need to apply an additional product on top of this. But it’s a great in-between step if you need something extra. It makes my skin feel SO plump, smooth, and firm. You can use the code ORGANICALLYBECCA at checkout for an additional free travel-size Osea product with purchases of $40+.
- Hyaluronic acid (plant-derived) to plump and hydrate
- Giganrtina, Undaria, and Macrocystis seaweeds which are rich in vitamins and minerals that help provide collagen protection, reduce the appearance of fine lines, and decongest pores
Related post: “8 Reasons to Love OSEA Skincare: My Top Picks!”
Best for damaged or mature skin • All skin types
This serum is GORGEOUS and will also make you look a little more tan, bonus! Rosehip oil is known as nature’s retinol and has been proven to help regenerate the skin (naturally contains high amounts of Vitamin A and C). I love to use this one after microneedling, too. It’s a “dry oil” meaning it absorbs quickly without leaving a heavy or oily residue on your skin. Got something to heal, this will do the trick!
- Organic Andean rosehip oil is renowned for its skin healing properties and high concentrations of Omegas 3, 6, 7 & 9 plus antioxidant Carotenoids
Best for oily and acne-prone skin • All skin types
I don’t know about you, but I absolutely LOVE the smell of blue tansy. This serum is the most gorgeous deep emerald color, wow. I love this one for when I’m breaking out and have congested skin because it calms everything down while healing at the same time. It’s potent in the best way possible. You can use code ORGANICALLYBECCA for a discount on this oil!
- Cold-pressed borage oil has been shown to reduce inflammatory lesions on the skin
- Evening primrose oil speeds up wound healing and promotes the reduction of fine lines and wrinkles
- Açai berry oil is highly moisturizing with powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
- Blue tansy helps to soothe and rebalance irritated skin
- Tea tree is naturally antibacterial and clinically proven to reduce blemishes and breakouts
Best budget-friendly serum, Best for sensitive skin • All skin types
Although essential oils are natural and can provide many skincare benefits, they can also be extremely irritating for those with sensitive skin. This serum contains zero essential oils! This is one that I feel like pretty much anyone can use and they’ll benefit from it (an ideal everyday oil). It smells earthy and grounding; just naturally scented from the oils.
- Sacha inchi oil contains 40x more soothing fatty acids than argan oil
- Guava seed oil is rich in Linoleic acid to reduce the look of redness and inflammation
- Supercritical borage extract is the highest natural source of GLA (gamma-linolenic acid) to minimize the look of hormonal blemishes
- Shiitake mushroom extract is rich in vitamin D and beta-glucan to balance and calm skin
Go forth and slather yourself in oils…
So there you have it! I highly recommend any of these oils. If you try one and find that it’s too oily, try using less. You really only need a little bit. Let me know in the comments if you use a serum and how you like it!