Spring is finally here! And in episode 14 of the Positively Green Podcast, we’re talking all about the sun. Believe it or not, we NEED some sun exposure without any sunscreen to help our bodies get Vitamin D. We’re also talking about the ingredients in conventional sunscreens and their health effects, as well as how they are negatively impacting the environment. Then we also leave you with safe, non-toxic, mineral sunscreen options. We’re all about practicing safe sun exposure over here!
Topics covered in this episode:
- Why we need Vitamin D and the sun ☀️
- Ingredients in conventional sunscreens and their health effects
- Why these ingredients are also harmful to the environment and contributing to coral bleaching
- Safe mineral sunscreen options
- Kelsey’s DIY sunscreen recipe:
- 1 Tbsp shea butter
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ tsp beeswax
- ½ tsp non-nano titanium dioxide powder
- ½ tsp non-nano zinc oxide powder
And check out my blog post all about safe SPF options, organic aloe vera, natural sunless tanners, etc.
Studies + Resources mentioned:
- Vitamin D Deficiency in Adults
- Sunscreen suppressing Vitamin D synthesis
- Oxybenzone contributing to coral reef bleaching
- Environmental Working Group’s Sunscreen Guide
- Download the free dminder app for optimal sun exposure ?
Thanks SO much for listening!