You may remember miss Roberta from a past Positively Green Podcast episode all about kitties, but today we’re shifting gears and talking about DOGS! 🐶 This is a must-listen for all dogs mamas (and dads) out there.
About Roberta Donaldson:
Roberta Donaldson is an Environmental Scientist and Conservation Biologist by day and passionate pet parent by night. She is the creator of the blog Millennial Cat Mom and is the pet parent of her two beautiful fur children, Loki and Lambeau. Roberta’s goal is to inspire pet parents everywhere to take their pet’s health into their own hands by providing knowledge and resources about the monster that is the pet food industry. She was born and raised in Milwaukee, WI, but is now lost in the mountains in Denver, CO.
Topics Covered in This Episode:
- The problem with conventional dog kibble, how it’s made, and how it affects health
- What label splitting is and why it’s so deceiving on an ingredient list
- Raw feeding and why it’s so beneficial for dogs and akin to their wild carnivore diet 🐕
- Why most vets advise against “grain-free” diets; should we actually be concerned about DCM in dogs?
- Better kibble and raw food alternatives
- How to get started with raw feeding and supplementation (and why it doesn’t have to break the bank)
- Natural treats, eco-friendly toys, and supplies 🦴
- Holistic flea and tick remedies
- Click & Grow Smart Garden
- Dr. Karen Becker’s TED Talk
- Dr. Susan Thixton from the Truth About Pet Food
- Pet Fooled documentary
- Grabbies compostable poo bags 💩
- Earth Animal flea and tick products
- EarthHero dog toys (Beco bones) Code BECCA10 for a discount
- Dogs Naturally Magazine
- Raw Feeding Community
- University of Helsinki study
Related blog post: Best Natural, Eco-Friendly Products for Dogs
Better Dog Food Brands to Check Out:
- Kibble: Farmina, Open Farm, Zignature, Stella & Chewy’s
- Raw: Answers, Primal, Steve’s, OC Raw, Northwest Naturals, The Honest Kitchen
What to ask your pet food manufacturer: Ask for a guarantee in writing that all meat ingredients are sourced from USDA-inspected and passed animals. Also ask for a written guarantee that all ingredients are transported and warehoused under refrigeration.
And be sure to check out our sponsor, OSEA Malibu! Use code POSITIVELYGREEN10 for $10 off your first purchase of $50+.
Tune in below or subscribe on iTunes! Check out this page for a full list of episodes.
Thanks SO much for listening. We’d fully appreciate a rating and review!