I’m not ashamed to admit it, but my dog Dexter is my baby (or, fur baby). He is spoiled to the max and deserves the best! We want our pets to live the healthiest, happiest lives possible, so today I want to talk specifically about the beds that our pets sleep on, and why it’s important to choose one that’s non-toxic!
First I want to say that Savvy Rest is awesome and sent us this Savvy Doggy organic bed for free! But I am not being paid to post about it. I am a Savvy Rest affiliate though, you can read more about what that means here.
The Hidden Dangers of Most Pet Beds
I know what you’re thinking, why does my dog need a non-toxic bed? How are beds even toxic in the first place?! This made me scratch my head too until I started doing some research.
- Most pet beds contain harsh chemicals like flame retardants, formaldehyde, and fragrance
- They use non-organic cotton which is heavily sprayed with pesticides or synthetic fabrics that are heavily dyed
- Many are filled with synthetic foams and chemically-treated fillings
- Pet beds are less likely to be adequately tested for safety than beds for humans
And unfortunately, canine cancers are on the rise. An estimated 6 million dogs will be diagnosed with cancer this year [fetchacure.org]. While there are obviously many factors that can contribute to this like food and genetics, environmental factors are a big part too!
A dog will sleep on its bed for many hours a day, and having direct contact with chemicals on the bed and breathing them in for extended periods of time can add up. So it’s best to choose as natural as possible for your pet!
Why Dexter Loves His Savvy Doggy Organic Bed
It really can’t get any more natural than this! I highly recommend Savvy Doggy pet beds because:
- They are truly natural and are made with an organic cotton cover and filled with natural latex, that’s it! No nasty chemicals.
- They are super plush, comfortable, and soft
- The price is very comparable to most conventional pet beds, if not cheaper
- The outside cover is removable and you can wash it (because let’s face it, dogs are dirty) 🐶
These beds are available in two colors: Natural and Black. You can choose either a shredded latex filling which is 6” tall or formed latex filling which is 3” tall. They come in sizes small, medium, and large.
Dexter (pictured above) is about 60 lbs and fits perfectly on the Medium size bed (26×37 inches). He has the Natural color with shredded latex filling. And he loooooooves laying on it!
(p.s., they make Savvy Kitty beds too!)
For the Humans, Too!
And in case you’re wondering, Savvy Rest makes human products too like mattresses, sofas, toppings, pillows, bed frames, and baby products. All natural and non-toxic. My hubby and I bought organic pillows from them a few years ago and absolutely love them.
You can even check out my other blog post about their organic body pillows. Who knew there were so many benefits to sleeping with one!
Related blog post: Savvy Rest Natural Latex Mattress Review (& Why I Choose Organic!)
It might seem silly at first to choose organic beds and pet beds, but I now realize how important it is. It’s definitely an investment for our health and the health of our beloved fur babies.
You can use the code ORGANICALLYBECCA for 20% off all Savvy Rest products!