Often times the first thing we want to do in the morning is pour a cup of coffee. I am SO guilty of doing this, especially since coffee is such a big incentive to get out of bed ? However, coffee dehydrates you BIG time. And after 8 hours of sleep and not taking in any water, you might want to think twice about your drink of choice first thing in the morning.
Benefits of Drinking Water in the Morning
Trust me, I am NOT saying avoid coffee (I would die). But what I am saying is this: drink 16 oz. of water BEFORE you drink a cup of coffee in the morning. Here’s why!
- Coffee dehydrates you, and since it is very acidic, it can be harsh on an empty stomach
- You essentially wake up dehydrated because your body hasn’t had water in a few hours
- Water fires up your metabolism
- Helps flush toxins
- Fuels your brain
- Aids digestion
- Makes you feel less hungry
- Keeps your skin looking healthy
- Regenerates your cells which is especially important after hours of fasting
Add Lemon for an Extra Boost ?
If you don’t think you can physically drink a ton of water right away in the morning, try adding in some fresh lemon slices! Lemon water tastes great and has a lot of benefits like:
- Improves digestion
- Boosts immune system (hellooooo Vitamin C)
- Hydrates you even more
- Increases energy
- Promotes healthy skin
- Reduces inflammation
- Helps with weight loss
- Alkalizes your body
- Cleanses your system
- And more!
How It’s Helped Me
I was inspired to start trying this by a challenge I saw on Instagram. I’ve been doing this ritual for a couple of weeks now and have noticed some amazing things:
- My skin seems a bit more clear
- The puffiness under my eyes goes away quicker in the mornings
- Overall I feel more energized and less sluggish in the morning
- I’m less hungry (even after my morning smoothie)
- I actually crave more water throughout the day (win, win!)
- I feel less of a “jolt” from my coffee, meaning I get the energy boost without the jittery feeling
The only downside is that you will have to pee, like, a lot. Gotta flush those toxins, right?
So let me know in the comments if you practice this or if you are going to start! Also, if you’re looking for an awesome Cold Brew Coffee recipe, check out mine. ☕️